[ExI] brexit quick question

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Jul 12 18:11:19 UTC 2016

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2016 9:30 AM
To: Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se>; ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: [ExI] brexit quick question

Nowhere do I see where the referendum is legally binding, so theoretically you could have another one, no?  Or maybe Parliament could simply not obey it.

bill w

Ja, they could legally do that.  But if they do, it is the last referendum and the last we will hear from most of the parliamentarians once the next election comes along.  When Parliament was doing things like that here, we hurled tea into the harbor, to remind government who they serve.

Britain is a little different with their still having royalty.  That whole business of being subjects of the queen makes me squirm, even if it is symbolic.  But all the parliamentarians are also subjects of that same queen.  As far as I know, she doesn’t interfere with the business of government.  Our local Brits could educate me.