[ExI] brexit quick question

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 18:28:05 UTC 2016

On Jul 12, 2016 9:32 AM, "William Flynn Wallace" <foozler83 at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Nowhere do I see where the referendum is legally binding, so
theoretically you could have another one, no?  Or maybe Parliament could
simply not obey it.

Having another one to confirm seems the only politically plausible option
of those, and only with a very good excuse to do so.

(I recall suggesting that the PM could claim to have noticed unspecified
irregularities in the vote and call for a confirmation on that basis,
marking Secret the exact irregularities - those being just the backpedaling
and other regrets, a weak excuse but reversing Brexit would be an attempt
to repair international relations, and "could harm international relations"
is explicitly sufficient criteria to mark something Secret in their
system.  Of course, the Remain campaign could note the backpedaling to
paint Leave as liars when they promise anything good.  That said, a PM who
did this would do well to negotiate a far better deal with the EU in
exchange for calling for the confirmation, possibly starting with "fire
your ministers who've voiced revenge fantasies for our people saying
they're fed up with you: that's not something you get to be angry about,
that's something you need to fix ASAP, and ministers who disagree have no
place in your employ".)