[ExI] first robot kill?

Anders anders at aleph.se
Thu Jul 21 20:36:13 UTC 2016

On 2016-07-21 20:36, William Flynn Wallace wrote:
> The shooter in Baton Rouge was killed by a pound of C4 carried by a
> bomb disposal robot.  As far as I know, this is the first killing of
> anyone by a robot in the USA.
>
> Is it?  Does this happen overseas or anywhere you know?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenji_Urada
Robert Williams at Ford Motors was killed by a robot 1979.

 From a robot ethics perspective the explosive bomb disposal robot
wasn't that problematic: it was a remote controlled device not too
different from a torpedo or a drone, all moral responsibility resting
with the controller and their organization. The reason to be concerned
is that it pulls towards even more militarization of police forces:
after all, sending drones rather than guys in blue into danger seems to
be a great thing from the police perspective. But mistakes happen...

(The thing to be *really* worried about is automation of law
enforcement. If state power can be implemented without any need of
citizen participation, it becomes a very frightening thing indeed.)

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute