[ExI] political disaster was: request to tone down politics

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 08:23:19 UTC 2016

On Sun, Jun 5, 2016 at 11:40 AM, Gregory Lewis <gjlewis37 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Even if you’re pretty whiggish (which I’m guessing Extropians generally
> are…) about social progress over time, you might still want to have some
> institutional conservatism as we approximate better and better the ‘right
> system’, as newer innovations are more likely to be error.

### Are we whiggish? Hmm, dunno. How many supporters of the Corn Laws do we
have here? Supporters of the Prohibition?

Weird people fit into the usual mass-market political classifications like
a square peg in a round hole. I dimly remember this list doing some surveys
of members, maybe 15 years ago. There seemed to be a lot of trying not to
fit in too well.

I feel allergic to almost all that is contained currently under the label
"liberal" in the US. But then, I am hardly illiberal either, and you
couldn't call me a conservative. Such a confusion of terms, ever creeping
classifiers.

Weird.