[ExI] Circumcision

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 00:45:39 UTC 2016

> I found this whole notion so very
> annoying and made my position clear: babies do suffer while the
circumcision
> is being performed and it damn well does count.  spike

Now what is a psychologist to make of this?  Some of the psychoanalytic
persuasion might make a case that an incident of this kind could change the
adult personality in a significant way, particularly since it is of a
sexual nature.  No one can supply any data of any kind  that would prove or
disprove this notion.  Thus one can argue either side of it and not meet a
persuasive counterargument.

I can imagine that the vast majority of circumcisions are done because of
tradition in the family, or tradition in a group, such as the Jews.  I
suspect that few decisions to do it are motivated by health reasons, but
that reason may be increasing.

I was a very independent and willful child and teen.  My parents did not
punish me much at all.  I could take a position that they did not do what
they should have done and my personality suffered for it.  Thus I could
resent the upbringing that I had.  I could harp on it all my life and blame
them for my failures.

Unlike circumcision, my upbringing could not be reversed.  If this scenario
obtained I might be a neurotic or a drug addict or alcoholic, always
getting treatment but never getting well.

The Eagles had a song:  Get Over It, which was a satire on all the troubles
country songs harped on.  This is one of my theme songs.  What good does it
do to berate parents, who are long dead in my case, for the way they raised
me?  It just produces stress and the thousands of unfortunate things it can
cause.  Of what use is outrage?

My person opinion is that the physician is correct:  the baby will not form
any long term memories of pain and trauma occurring in early infancy, and
thus no psychological damage will ensue, unless he becomes resentful of
what was  done to him.  As you know, when dealing with a minor, all that is
needed is implied consent, which is provided by the parents' requesting the
procedure.

No one's childhood is perfect.  No one's parents always did the right
things, and sometimes they didn't even know what the right thing was, and
so tradition held.

Now I do think that pertinent studies should be done, though I very much
doubt if anything definitive will come of it.  Even if something does and
it's negative, I suspect that tradition will overwhelm it.  Many traumas
happen in infancy and childhood and I think it's impossible to point at one
of them and say that it is a cause of some adult characteristic.

The trauma itself is not important in any case.  It is the person's
recovery from it that matters.  In a very real sense, having an easy life
does not prepare one for the capricious indignities and vicissitudes that
make up a normal life.  Learning to cope with frustration is essential.  If
a child has no frustration we must provide him with some!

Nothing above is intended to make light of anyone's concern.

bill w