[ExI] Circumcision

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 00:33:25 UTC 2016

> Pain and suffering are different things: one is a sensory stimulus, the
> other is the aversive emotional reaction (which can be triggered by
non-pain
> stimuli too). anders

There are pain clinics that specialize in intractable pain.  They do not
use drugs, which of course have already been tried.  What they do is to
convince the person off the above - that they can feel the pain but not
suffer - a dissociation if you will.  The correlation between pain and
suffering is far from linear.

Most of you will be familiar with Lazarus Long of Heinlein fame.  When he
went in for rejuvenation they considered whether to remove certain
memories, so this idea is relatively old.

anders, as a consequentialist, I think you must argue that pain never
remembered and never causing any future harm is not per se wrong.  In fact,
pain now can mean learning to avoid dangerous things and so is a good
thing. A 'life of amnesiac bliss' would mean that a person would never
learn to avoid painful situations.  Surely circumcision has always been
done with a good result in mind, though intentions are irrelevant to some..

Now this may be more debatable:  should a person be subjected to capricious
pain and humiliation just because it has always been done that way?  I am
thinking of fraternity initiations.  I experienced it directly.  When the
national organization of lambda chi came down with instructions to
eliminate hazing, some ot the brothers objected strongly.  They thought
that if the new group did not go through what they went through that they
were not fully brothers in the frat.  I have seen informal initiations and
they were at times vicious.

bill w