[ExI] outrage

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Fri Jun 17 07:52:08 UTC 2016

On 2016-06-17 04:53, Dan TheBookMan wrote:
> On Jun 16, 2016, at 8:31 PM, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com
> <mailto:atymes at gmail.com>> wrote:
>> Are there ways to measure and quantize outrage?  What are the units
>> of measurement of outrage?
>
> I don't know, but if no one knows then how can we seriously talk about
> outrage being on the rise now?

Personal experience is fallible, but it is still data. Another source of
data is observable actions: current student protests against too free
expression on campus, did they occur in the 80s or 90s? How many riots
were triggered in different decades by foreign news? How many lawsuits
over emotional distress?

I think that can be used to measure outrage. We may also run sentiment
analysis on newspaper editorials and letters to the editor.

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute