[ExI] outrage

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 14:40:28 UTC 2016

 two big trends that are really great (IMO) is the overall global decline
in poverty and violence. They simply didn't think either was true and
thought things were getting worse on all fronts -- save for technology.
(They were both technological optimists, but otherwise seemed pessimistic,
which puzzled me.)  dan

I hate to call it a phobia but I lack another term.  A form of superstition
as well.  I refer to people's fear of predicting anything good.  If someone
does, someone else will react and knock on wood or some other
'preventative'.

Then too there is the media effect:  mostly bad news gets reported, as we
all know. This skews perceptions of overall good versus bad.  Good news
today consists of kitten videos and the like.  Very solid effect:  good
things are not nearly so good as bad things are bad.  Fear trumps
everything (intended).

But maybe not.  Addicted gamblers seem to be opposite in this - less fear
of losing than thrill of winning.'

bill w