[ExI] The Age of Em – Robin Hanson in Second Life, Tomorrow (Sunday June 26)

Giulio Prisco giulio at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 15:04:29 UTC 2016

The Age of Em – Robin Hanson in Second Life, Sunday June 26
http://turingchurch.com/2016/06/25/the-age-of-em-robin-hanson-in-second-life-sunday-june-26/

Robin Hanson will present his new book “The Age of Em: Work, Love and Life
when Robots Rule the Earth” at the next Turing Church meeting in Second
Life on Sunday, June 26. The presentation will be followed by a discussion,
and everyone will be able to ask questions...

A book presentation in Second Life is a natural fit for “The Age of Em.”
According to Robin, the “ems” (uploaded humans running on suitable
computing hardware) that will inherit the Earth will live most of their
life as pure software in virtual reality... Second Life, primitive as it is
compared to future standards, is a good mental model for the virtual
reality habitats of future ems... Perhaps our collective mind designed
Second Life to start experimenting with our future habitats.