[ExI] Autonomous car ethics

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 05:26:15 UTC 2016

On Sat, Jun 25, 2016 at 10:16 AM, Chris Hibbert <hibbert at mydruthers.com>
wrote:

> I'd be willing to bet that there aren't *any* incidents in the training
> database that Google's cars have collected from millions of miles of
> driving that show a situation in which the driver has to choose between
> injuring or killing the occupants and injuring or killing anyone outside
> the car. In addition, I'll add in all the miles driven by anyone on this
> list, and claim that it's really unlikely that any of *you* have
> encountered such a situation either. If drivers drive at sane speeds on
> roads that are navigable and have decent traction, you can slow down early
> enough that you won't come across such a situation.

While this isn't technically a counterexample since she's not on this list,
my mother encountered such a situation once.  Suffice it to say, certain
individuals were acting in a VERY unsafe manner, and the only way to avoid
hitting (and thus injuring, possibly killing) them was to swerve her car
into something that would decelerate her car fast enough to deploy airbags
and injure her.  She chose the latter.  (I saw the bruises, so I can
confirm that injury happened.)