[ExI] sciam blog article

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 14:55:35 UTC 2016

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 11:32 PM, Robin D Hanson <rhanson at gmu.edu> wrote:

​
>> ​>> ​
>> it might be better to look for the master learning algorithm directly
>> rather than trying to reverse engineer the biological brain; the recent
>> successes in deep machine learning like
>> ​ ​
>> AlphaGo
>> ​ makes me think we might not be too far from finding it.​
>>

> ​> ​
> Even if there were a single “master” learning algorithm, instead of many
> more context dependent learning algorithms, there can still be many other
> relevant design choices, including choices of representations.

​Regardless of how things are represented and regardless of whether there
is one big algorithm or several smaller algorithms, when you add up all the
differences between chimpanzee level ability and human level ability
genomics tells us that number has GOT to be less than 9 meg, and probably a
lot less.

 John K Clark