[ExI] Gunfight at the OK Convention

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Mon Mar 28 08:20:00 UTC 2016

I got the impression the petition was  actually started by a bunch of
democrat gadflies. But the joke is a pretty good one. Whenever I
encounter someone being irrationally optimistic about the politeness and
peacemaking properties of guns I suggest that this is why we ought to
arm prisoners.

Still, we ought to get away from the dreaded g*ns topic (we had a ban on
it on this list for many years, given the fierce positions some people
took). A better question is: how would we construct respectful,
intelligent foras for discussing policy and how to stabilie them? I am
not asking how to make current systems work, just what it takes to make
a forum work well. Once we know that we might conspire to make them common.

On 2016-03-28 01:37, William Flynn Wallace wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 7:09 PM, John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com
> <mailto:johnkclark at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Republicans now want to allow people to carry firearms when they
>     meet in Cleveland in July for their convention to nominate Donald
>     Trump as their presidential candidate. Thousands of irrational
>     people who hate each others guts jammed into one small hot
>     auditorium each armed with a 44 Magnum revolver strapped to his
>     waist and claiming to have a larger dick and a better looking wife
>     than anybody else; what could possibly go wrong?
>
>     http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2016/03/27/donald-trump-ted-cruz-john-kasich-guns-open-carry-cleveland-convention-republicans/82321374/
>

>       John K Clark
>

> ​Why John, this seems to me to be totally normal behavior for the
> current slate of Repubs.  Do you think this is somewhat unusual?  ​
> ​​ Cowboys are all Repubs, aren't they?  Or at least the wannabes.
> Highly predictable, I'd say.  Scream at the top of your voice and
> carry the biggest stick, ride in a Humvee.  Will Trump be the first
> comb-over president? Combing over not just his bald spots but his
> earlier political positions?
>
> I personally experienced Earl Long and George Wallace (early rabble
> rousers and demagogues for those of you overseas).  (Earl won the
> entertainment value contest hams down - showed up on a flat bed truck,
> wearing one of those old man T shirts, sweating and drinking from a
> pint bottle and giving away hams and tubs of lard "Give a ham to the
> nigger lady in the back" while a country music band played.  And he
> won.  Easily.  For US Rep central LA.  Died two weeks later - heart.)
>  Democrats in those days, of course.
>
> bill w

Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute