[ExI] experiment: decreased investment in individual memes...

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 14:17:26 UTC 2016

On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 7:30 PM, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

> On 2016-03-29 01:16, William Flynn Wallace wrote:
>

> ​What's the issue?  Commission of felonies, especially those involving
> national security,  erases all privacy expectations, or should.  This is
> far from just random scanning of everyone's data.
>

> Forcing a company to design a tool to undermine their own security.
>
> Note: not revealing existing information or backdoors, but making one.
>
> Forcing companies to become complicit against their own will in
> surveillance is a bad step.
>
> --
> Anders Sandberg
> Future of Humanity Institute
> Oxford Martin School
> Oxford University
>
> ​I suppose that my problem here is not understanding the programming.
> Apparently it took some big expert to break into the iPhone, but at any
> rate it was done and if it was, then others could do it too.  So it wasn't
> impossible without Apples' help.

​And if you do require some company to change their security, what's the
big deal about that?  Is the programming so difficult?​

​ ​Change it and then get everyone to update.  Inconvenient but necessary
at time.

If lives are truly at stake, and you could make a good case that they were,
then that takes precedence over changing the programming.  I do think a
federal judge should handle this type of thing.

So unless I hear from someone about the programming, then I 'll stick to
this:  public need to know trumps (sorry) private companies' needs or wants.

bill w