[ExI] Global catastrophic risk report

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sun May 1 17:15:42 UTC 2016

On 2016-05-01 18:36, spike wrote:

> There must be ways to cash in on this belief by betting against it, by
> betting on climate non-change.

I think the trick is beachfront property. Climate denialists would say
it is getting undervalued, climate worriers think it has declining value
- this is an opportunity for trading or shorting.

I have never encountered a climate change sceptic in the insurance and
reinsurance business. (They do tend to be sceptical about claims of
increased hurricane frequency/intensity due to climate change though;
the evidence from NOAA is not supporting it.)

So you think climate change is overblown, you should presumably expect
the insurance business to be too cautious, and you could presumably make
good money (in expectation) through long-term, widely distributed cat
bonds.

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute