[ExI] It looks like Craig Wright was Bitcoins creator

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Tue May 3 14:15:32 UTC 2016

On 2016-05-03 15:00, BillK wrote:
> On 3 May 2016 at 07:56, Anders Sandberg  wrote:
>> I think that when the history of this era is written, this list will be
>> mentioned as an important intellectual forum. And then people will all think
>> we were standing around the salon in togas, having erudite conversations.
>> Nobody will remember flamewars about gun rights or punfests. I suspect the
>> same is true for our historical writing - the Greek symposia did leave hints
>> in the form of messy drinking games (kottabos, anyone?)
> Just checking - wearing a toga on the list is not actually forbidden, is it???

No, but people do get chitons and togas confused. The Romans used togas,
but were way less erudite and interesting conversationalists than the
ancient Greek, who used chitons. Usually the image is just bearded guys
talking among white classical columns, mixing up the eras completely
(ancient Greek marble was apparently often brightly painted too).

I don't think mailing lists are very good at enforcing dress codes. Or
do we want a list where you have to scan your attire, and Spike gets to
let you in? Might motivate interesting dress, or un-dress as the case
might be :-)

> When I went to Merriam-webster to check the definition, it asked me -
> 'What made you want to look up a toga?'

Talk about chilling effects.

(Had a lunch conversation about cryonics in the park today, and heads
turned when one of us loudly said "We all agree that it is totally
rational to cut off the heads and freeze them, but...")

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute