[ExI] extropy-chat Digest, Vol 152, Issue 3

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Wed May 4 05:41:40 UTC 2016

> On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 11:36 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

snip

>> Whether we like it or not, we are descending into World War 4, over the
>> name of a sizeable population?s imaginary friend.  Such a profound tragedy
>> is this.  But arguing over the name of an imaginary friend has cost
>> innumerable lives, has ruined a sizeable portion of the globe, has
>> destroyed the prospects of so many, and I sadly admit I can only envision
>> it becoming worse for the rest of my natural life.  We have much of the
>> western world quietly coming to the conclusion that in some way or another,
>> that entire memeset must be completely exterminated.  Those who hold the
>> memeset in question have largely concluded the western world must either be
>> forced to buy in or be exterminated.  I am losing hope that some
>> enlightened leader can convince everyone that we can all live in peace on
>> this planet.

Spike, while there are evolutionary forces that cause people to select
irrational, no, batshit crazy, people for leaders in some situations,
there is nothing to cause people to select "enlightened leaders."

There is an obvious way for people to live in peace.  I would point
you to my article now several years old, but it was on a web site that
went down this last week and is not likely to come back.

It's really annoying to understand why things are looking so awful and
for that very understanding to block hope that things will get better.

Keith