[ExI] extropy-chat Digest, Vol 152, Issue 3

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Wed May 4 07:10:07 UTC 2016

On May 3, 2016, at 10:41 PM, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 11:36 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
>
> snip
>
>>> Whether we like it or not, we are descending into World War 4, over the
>>> name of a sizeable population?s imaginary friend.  Such a profound tragedy
>>> is this.  But arguing over the name of an imaginary friend has cost
>>> innumerable lives, has ruined a sizeable portion of the globe, has
>>> destroyed the prospects of so many, and I sadly admit I can only envision
>>> it becoming worse for the rest of my natural life.  We have much of the
>>> western world quietly coming to the conclusion that in some way or another,
>>> that entire memeset must be completely exterminated.  Those who hold the
>>> memeset in question have largely concluded the western world must either be
>>> forced to buy in or be exterminated.  I am losing hope that some
>>> enlightened leader can convince everyone that we can all live in peace on
>>> this planet.
>
> Spike, while there are evolutionary forces that cause people to select
> irrational, no, batshit crazy, people for leaders in some situations,
> there is nothing to cause people to select "enlightened leaders."
>
> There is an obvious way for people to live in peace.  I would point
> you to my article now several years old, but it was on a web site that
> went down this last week and is not likely to come back.
>
> It's really annoying to understand why things are looking so awful and
> for that very understanding to block hope that things will get better.

I don't see what Spike sees at all. Religious militants are a tiny subset and have very little power and a tiny ability to do harm. The harm they do dies grab headlines but it's incredibly small. World War 4?! This is minuscule compared to even the Cold War threat of a large scale nuclear exchange. The threat which never happened -- mainly it seems because the Soviets were more interesting in staying in power than risking it all on world revolution. (Similarly, most "enemy" regimes are fairly rational when it comes to survival.) Wake up! The world seems incredibly less dangerous today. You're far less likely to die a violent death of any kind -- and a terrorist attack is very low on the least of even these. (According to one source, you're more likely to be shot by a toddler than a terrorist in the US.;) Not totally safe, but from Spike's talk you'd think ISIS was sweeping through South California. (Not trying to pick on you here, Spike, but turn off the TV or stop reading the news feeds for a few weeks. And stop listening to chicken little colleagues who would do better to hide under the bed and shake if they're only going to spread fear for fear's sake.;)

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books via:
http://author.to/DanUst