[ExI] extropy-chat Digest, Vol 152, Issue 3

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Wed May 4 15:55:19 UTC 2016

What happens when laws start passing which forbid alcohol in France?
spike

Just what happened when states or counties became dry - bootlegging.  Laws
against pot don't seem that effective, eh?  Biggest cash crop in many
places.

Here is the definitive answer and you need go no further:

We will be saved by business.  If China and the US would go to war it would
destroy each other's economy.  The more the world gets connected by
business, the internet, and so on, the more it will get less hostile.
Negative correlation.   I agree with the 'terrorism is a tiny part' of what
we are now.  Yes, they could explode an atom bomb, but that would not
change the power of business.

(One billion Muslims don't seem to be that interested in throwing their
weight around.)

So, while 'the love of money is the root of all evil' is true to a certain
extent, it is also the basis of all societies in some sense.  Who says you
can't buy happiness?  Or at least rent it for awhile?  (Remembering Terry
Pratchett's 'negotiable affection' here)

bill w