[ExI] relationships with money, was: RE: extropy-chat Digest, Vol 152, Issue 3

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Wed May 4 17:34:06 UTC 2016

On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 11:55 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> *From:* extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] *On
> Behalf Of *William Flynn Wallace
> *…*
>

> So, while 'the love of money is the root of all evil' is true to a certain
> extent, it is also the basis of all societies in some sense.  Who says you
> can't buy happiness?  Or at least rent it for awhile?  (Remembering Terry
> Pratchett's 'negotiable affection' here)
>

> bill w
>

> BillW, that meme is the longest-standing typo in history.  It should have
> read “The lack of money is the root of all evil.”
>

> Think about it.  That version works better, ja?  I have always loved
> money, even before I had any.  Never made me the least bit evil.  Over the
> years as I have come to own more money, I have become a kinder, gentler,
> more generous sort.  The correlation is striking.
>

> But ja, you damn sure can buy happiness (or at least a really good
> look-alike for it) you can rent it, you can buy it for others, we can
> create jobs, start businesses which make cool fun stuff, we can solve all
> kinds of problems with money.  When it comes to money in the right hands
> (such as… mine), some is good, more is better, too much is just right.
>

> spike

​I dunno, I think the quote is from the Bible - not a typo.  Your version
works well, but a lot of evil comes from having too much.  It makes people
think that they are right and others are wrong just because of their
wealth.  They start to preach on social and moral issues, for instance.
And buy politicians.

bill w​