[ExI] relationships with money, was: RE: extropy-chat Digest, Vol 152, Issue 3

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Wed May 4 17:50:16 UTC 2016

On May 4, 2016, at 10:34 AM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com> wrote:
> ​I dunno, I think the quote is from the Bible - not a typo.

The Bible quote is usually translated as the _love_ of money is the root of all evil. But that's in one epistle. I would think Christian theologians wouldn't home in on money, but probably pride or denial of god -- or something like that being truly the root of all evil. (My guess. I'm neither a Christian or a theological expert.)

> Your version works well, but a lot of evil comes from having too much.

How much is too much? One can simply give it away if one feels one has too much, but this too much is mostly a subjective judgment, no? Sure, some people wallow in consumption, but, again, how much is too much? How is that decided? What's the standard here? What happens if someone exceeds it? Do we take their money?

> It makes people think that they are right and others are wrong just because of their wealth.

Sure, though preachy moralist types are not found only amongst the rich. I've met many a person of little wealth who is ready to tell me and everyone else how to live our lives and would seem not to mind dictating their preferences if they have the power.

> They start to preach on social and moral issues, for instance.  And buy politicians.

The solution there seems painfully obvious: don't have politicians to be bought in the first place.

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books via:
http://author.to/DanUst