[ExI] relationships with money, was: RE: extropy-chat Digest, Vol 152, Issue 3

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Thu May 5 01:19:02 UTC 2016

On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 8:53 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> Again, this conflates what we earn with what we own.  The Fed can tax
> every earning at 100%.  They would collect nothing, for no one would work.
> The population would need to spend their time hunting and gathering.  But
> the Fed may not seize what we already own.  The Fed may not seize assets,
> only earnings.

By "The Fed" you mean "the US government", not the Federal Reserve, I take
it. Is there something in the constitution preventing seizing property?
Because I'm pretty sure they do that all the time, e.g., via asset
forfeiture or when they made private gold ownership illegal with the Gold
Reserve Act of 1934. Seems like they can do pretty much whatever they want.

-Dave