[ExI] calling for our exi computer security hipsters, was: RE: Donald Trump

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat May 7 23:24:50 UTC 2016

On 7 May 2016 at 20:26, Anders Sandberg  wrote:
> Sorry, but I think you are totally wrong here. That leaders get replaced is
> a feature, not a problem.
>
> Sometimes good leaders get replaced too quickly, but bad leaders (as defined
> by authoritarianism scores and the Archigos database) tend to stay around
> for a lot longer. Open societies allow citizens to point out problems, and
> if enough agree they are problems the society can change the system. Note
> that this includes pointing out that candidate promises are full of it, and
> telling others not to trust them.
>
> Open societies can also invent new institutions to fix recognized problems.

I agreed that an open society was a 'good thing', but it is far too
utopian for the current state of humanity.

By definition half of humanity is below average intelligence and if
you include (lack of) education, probably more than half are not very
capable. Of course intelligent people also often believe rubbish and
make wrong decisions, But everyone in an open society would have an
equal vote. Trump has many supporters and many dictators are / were
(at least initially) popular.

The best we can hope for is to enforce the rule of law for everyone,
regardless of wealth, connections, power, etc. That alone would be a
huge improvement on our present condition.

BillK