[ExI] calling for our exi computer security hipsters, was: RE: Donald Trump

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sun May 8 06:52:41 UTC 2016

On 2016-05-08 02:24, BillK wrote:
> I agreed that an open society was a 'good thing', but it is far too
> utopian for the current state of humanity.

Huh? I was using it in the standard PoliSci sense. And by that sense you
and me are living in open societies. Not "open", but open. We will not
go to jail for criticising the government policy unless we do it in some
really crazy way. If we organise to change something in society we have
a fair chance of influencing things. There is rule of law, people
criticising the law, and changes to the law.

There are a lot of places that do not have open societies. But overall,
a fairly sizeable chunk of the world is open as per the latest indices
(e.g. Freedom House).

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute