[ExI] fun outsider's view on ai

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Tue May 10 01:07:54 UTC 2016

No flak, you might be right.  We might find an alternative path to AI.  I
will note however that I took Thune’s class online, the one Stanford
offered free a couple years ago.  I noticed the text hasn’t changed all
that much in the last 20 years.  The insights offered in the mainstream
courses is really not progressing all that much, which tells me we need to
try something else.
spike

OK, now I am getting somewhere.  At the start I assume you define just what
it is that you want it to do.  What the whole process seems to me to be is
to create a machine that can duplicate a human, only it is faster, not
different in quality in any way. (Is this correct?)  And that's because we
can't think of any way to think other than human because we are human and
limited by that.

So we don't need outside the box thinking - we need outside the human
thinking.  Right so far?

Think of all those variables in my post.  Suppose you could hold every one
of them constant except one, so as to do a real experiment.  Then you
repeat that with the other variables, adding one at a time to see the
statistical interactions.  This is just totally impossible.  To get two
people to be in the same state except for one variable..... can't be done.
One reason psychology is so hard to do properly.  So we use groups.

Even if you could do all of that, suppose that the brain works in more of a
Gestalt fashion, so that the output is not the sum of all the variables at
all, but something different.  Some variables may be ignored, some
suppressed by other variables, some kicked up, and so on.  And some outputs
may be the same even with different quantities of some of the variables.

And just what will be the corresponding variable in an AI to the influence
of hormones?  It's just so complex that I can't get my head around it.
Maybe I have a lot of company.

I think we will never ever in a billion years be able to accurately predict
much of the behavior of an individual except in a very general way -
groups, yes, we can do that now.

bill w