[ExI] fun outsider's view on ai

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Tue May 10 22:09:30 UTC 2016

On Mon, May 9, 2016 , Brent Allsop <brent.allsop at canonizer.com> wrote:

​> ​
> simulated neurons and dendrite synapses are surely possible, but not the
> point.

​I think that's exactly the point.​

> ​> ​
> Sure a word like "red" can represent, and thereby simulate a redness
> quality, but it clearly does not have the quality it can represent.

​We don't yet know what all the steps in the recipe to produce the
subjective sensation of red are but we know the maximum size of the entire
cookbook. ​The human genome is about 750 million bytes but has massive
redundancy, run it through a loss-less compression program like ZIP and
it's down to 50 million bytes. About half the genome deals with the brain
so that's 25 million bytes or about a million lines of code. So although we
don't know exactly what it is yet we do know that a program with a million
lines of code can manufacture the qualia "red".

By comparison MAC OS X has 85 million lines of code.

 John K Clark