[ExI] fun outsider's view on ai

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at canonizer.com
Thu May 12 12:10:15 UTC 2016

Hi John,

I can agree with everything you are saying, even when you say "we do
know that a program with a million lines of code can manufacture the
qualia 'red'".  I must admit that this is a very testable scientific
theory that could be proven correct by demonstration.  I just happen to
currently favor the theory that it is something much simpler, like a
particular neuro transmitter that is responsible for an elemental qualia
like red.  But let's go with your theory in this conversation.

OK, so something less than a million lines of code can "manufacture" the
elemental qualia red.  I assume you will agree that a different set of
code can "manufacture" the qualia green, and that eventually we will be
able to know, recognize, and detect each of these and their differences
in each of our minds.  Then we will be able to see each of these in our
brains, and be able to tell things like if my code "manufacturing" red
is more like your code "manufacturing" green.  In other words we will be
able to "eff the ineffable" and know how our minds differ,
qualitatively, or not - at least to some degree.

It is still a fact that both the words "red" and "green" do not have
either of these "manufactured" qualities, but only are representing
such.  So the question is, which do you interpret them as, my
manufactured red or your manufactured red (possibly my green)?  The
point being, that without knowing how to properly interpret them, they
are just that: qualia absent representations that must be properly
interpreted.  Similarly, a million lines of code can surely represent
either my red or your red, if you interpret them in the right (or wrong)
way.

I can agree with you that simulating neurons and dendrites is "exactly
the [most important] point".  But you are still being blind to the
difference between an abstract representation that represents what is
"manufactured" and the real quality being "manufactured".  And that is
at least a little important, too.

Brent Allsop

OK, let's go with the assumption that everything you say is correct.