[ExI] fun outsider's view on ai

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Thu May 12 19:08:18 UTC 2016

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 8:10 AM, Brent Allsop <brent.allsop at canonizer.com>
wrote:

> ​> ​
> I can agree with everything you are saying, even when you say "we do know
> that a program with a million lines of code can manufacture the qualia
> 'red'".  I must admit that this is a very testable scientific theory that
> could be proven correct by demonstration.
>
> ​It's already been tested and proved to be correct.​

​ I know for a fact that my brain can manufacture the red qualia and I know
for a fact that a program with a  ​
million lines of code
​(and probably less) assembled my brain from generic atoms.​

> ​> ​
> OK, so something less than a million lines of code can "manufacture" the
> elemental qualia red.
>
> ​That and interactions with the environment.

> ​> ​
> I assume you will agree that a different set of code can "manufacture" the
> qualia green, and that eventually we will be able to know, recognize, and
> detect each of these and their differences in each of our minds.
>
> ​Maybe but not necessarily, ​Godelian limits on self knowledge might come
into play.

> ​> ​
> Then we will be able to see each of these in our brains, and be able to
> tell things like if my code "manufacturing" red is more like your code
> "manufacturing" green.
>
> ​I might know that a​ certain pattern of neuron firings in my brain
produces the red qualia in me, but you're brain is organized differently
than mine otherwise you would be me, so what sort of qualia your brain is
producing I have no way of knowing, I don't even know for certain that your
brain is producing any qualia at all. I might be the only conscious being
in the universe, I doubt it but I can't prove it's not true nor will I ever
be able to. That's why all this talk about qualia is a dead end, if you
want to make progress investigate intelligent behavior.

> ​> ​
> you are still being blind to the difference between an abstract
> representation that represents what is "manufactured" and the real quality
> being "manufactured".
>
> ​I know for a fact that I am not blind and I know for a fact that I can
experience the ​
red qualia and I know for a fact that the assembly instructions for John
Clark are less than a million lines long and I know for a fact there are
only 25 different types of parts.  ​We don't know for a fact that the
qualia you call "red" is the same as the qualia I call "red" nor will we
ever know that for a fact; so let's move on and study stuff we can know,
like intelligent behavior.

John K Clark