[ExI] Repudiating the national debt

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Thu May 12 02:45:35 UTC 2016

On Wed, May 11, 2016 Dan TheBookMan <danust2012 at gmail.com> wrote:

> ​> ​
> how many people given his inheritance, go on to make it that much bigger?

​I don't know. How many people put their inheritance in a S&P index fund?​

> ​> ​
> How many nuclear wars have happened so far?

​One, in 1945.​

> ​> ​
> How many near nuclear wars?

​One, in 1962. How many presidents have been madmen in the nuclear age?
None. My answer could be different in 8 months.  ​

> ​> ​
> One analyst said, IIRC, that India and Pakistan having nuclear weapons has
> lessened the chance of a major war between them.

​That might be true. I think in general nuclear weapons decrease the
possibility of  major wars, but the trouble is they increase the
possibility of a global war. And a major war could kill several hundred
thousand people but a global war could kill several billion people.  ​

​> ​
> A problem here, though, is Clinton stated she wanted to expand NATO to
> include the Ukraine and Georgia. Wouldn't this alone increase the chances
> of a confrontation with Russia?

​I honestly don't don't know, unlike Donald's nuclear Saudi Arabia
​brainstorm this isn't obviously a bad idea, although it might be. But even
if it is a bad idea it isn't as bad as Donald's idea.
​

> And as for defaulting on the national debt ...that too scary to even talk
>> about.
>

> ​>​
> Let's see. We discuss topics like hostile AI, gray goo, and other
> extinction level catastrophes, but this one topic is unthinkable.

​The thing is in 2013​

​just rumors about defaulting on the debt crashed the stock market.
Extropians care about grey goo ​but few others do.

 John K Clark