[ExI] Security clearances

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Thu May 12 06:05:00 UTC 2016

Since I will be working on information hazards this summer, I am curious
about the world of security clearances. How do they *actually* work?

Practically, it seems to be a combination of (1) getting people to
acknowledge that they will deal with Important Stuff and are responsible
(a psychological effect), (2) creating a cultural environment where
information flow is shaped (a social effect), (3) creating penalties for
doing things wrong (an incentive effect). I assume there is also an
assumed (4): that cleared people are less likely to leak or mishandle
information (a selection effect). Does anybody know if there have been
any proper studies of how well 1-4 actually work?

Bringing this into the transhuman world, we may consider what happens if
we get really good at these things.

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute