[ExI] fun outsider's view on ai

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sat May 14 17:19:27 UTC 2016

And the only way to know what the word "red" means, when you say it, is to
know how to properly interpret, qualitatively, what you mean for it to
represent?

Brent Allsop

Just how would we know, in the beginning of our learning of language, what
anything means without reference to what other people tell us it means?  A
consensus.  What people take as the meaning of a word IS the meaning of it,
even as it may change over the years.  As a psychologist, I say that if you
look at the word 'red' and experience a visual object that is red, then
yes, the word, in that instance, does have a red quality.  If it conjures
up communism, then no.  (of course we are in philosophy where anyone can be
right, or wrong, or neither).

bill w