[ExI] fun outsider's view on ai

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at canonizer.com
Sat May 14 21:24:13 UTC 2016

Hi William,

Thanks for asking.  It all has to do with the theoretical possibility of
inverted qualia.  For example, the qualitative nature of my "redness"
may be more like the qualitative nature of your "greenness".  If it is,
or if it is not, how could you know? We all interpret "redness", based
on the consensus about the source of the perception process, rather than
the quality of our knowledge, or the result of our knowledge.  This
failure to qualitatively interpret things correctly is the only thing
that is standing in the way from us knowing and detecting, at least on a
qualitatively elemental level, what other minds are like, and whether or
not they are conscious "like we are".  Sure, you can simulate any
intelligent behavior with abstract representations, but unless you know
how to properly interpret what an abstract simulation is meant to
represent, you can't know what the thing being simulated is
qualitatively like.

For more information on "effing the ineffable" and how to interpret
things correctly, google for the 15 minute video of my talk on
"detecting qualia":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHuqZKxtOf4

Brent Allsop