[ExI] two genders? is that really all there are? RE: Will ems have two genders?

Henry Rivera hrivera at alumni.virginia.edu
Sat May 14 21:17:14 UTC 2016

On May 14, 2016, at 4:41 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> Well, if so, the current administration has a true and impressive accomplishment: it has eliminated the salary gender gap.  Now, we have no way of knowing if there is such a thing, because we no longer have any legitimate way to know a person’s gender, even at the pool at the  local nudist camp.

I agree it is impressive without the sarcasm or implication of an overreaching edict. The domain of applicability of the letter is schools. Also, gender therein is defined by self-identification. I would expect the self-identified gender to be the same that society sees in most cases. The salary gap I propose results in part from the employer making a determination of gender based on observation of traits and social cues related to clothing and other things observable. The self-identified gender in most cases will be consistent with the employer determination of gender. So we will continue to have data on gender gap using self-identified gender, which btw is probably the same "legitimate" data we had before the school letter. Transpeople tend to not use their biologically based sex when responding to questions about that on surveys in my experience.
-Henry