[ExI] Security clearances

John Tracy Cunningham johntc at gmail.com
Sat May 14 20:35:29 UTC 2016

The information is what's important, and all the procedures are there to
protect the information.  If all works correctly, the information doesn't
get into the wrong hands.  Occasionally, one questions why something is
classified, and there are procedures for that, too.

An example of info that perhaps shouldn't have been classified: Suppose the
NATO-Warsaw Pact war happened.  In the plan, there was one line something
like, Infantry Company A of 180 men is scheduled to arrive at airport B in
Germany on D+17, go to a nearby warehouse to draw their stored equipment,
then proceed by surface to their position on the front line, arriving and
reporting combat ready by C+21.  Should that have been classified?
Perhaps; the guys in Company A might think so if they were attacked
enroute.  It was part of a database of hundreds of thousands of lines
describing the deployment of the US Armed Forces to Europe, and that
database was classified, period.

Most clearances are held by people in and around the military, the CIA, and
State, and there are certainly well-documented selection effects going on
in those organizations.  One cannot be a commissioned officer unless one
can obtain a Secret clearance.  Many positions, military and civilian,
depend on being able to obtain and to hold a clearance.  But people can't
simply collect clearances on their own initiative.  The initiative lies
with the government.  All of my clearances went poof two years after I
retired; if I wanted to go back into the business, I'd have to be
re-investigated from scratch, not just a simple five-year bring-up.

There is certainly a security culture.  Security is supposed to be part of
everyone's mindset.  One is reminded of it daily, hourly even.  On a daily
basis, clearances only come up if someone new needs to see something.  Far
more important are the procedures for protection - marking documents; use
of safes, alarms, SCIFs (Faraday cages), proper use of the SIPRNet
(intranet classified up to Secret) and the High Side, which goes higher.
Seldom does a problem arise because somebody shouldn't really have a
clearance; it's alway about protection.

What do you mean by "works well"?  No breaches?  Certainly the people who
run the system think that way.  But we are all fallible, and breaches are
going to occur, intentionally or unintentionally.  When they occur, they
might not always be made public, but internally there is increased
emphasis, a damage assessment perhaps with necessary consequent changes to
things, more training, new procedures, and so on.  Careers can be broken.
I point out the case of General David Petraeus, very very highly respected,
who retired to avoid being cashiered after giving his biographer classified
information.  (That he was having an affair with her didn't help.)  He has
however continued to do very well post-retirement.

You have the Clinton situation exactly right, I think.  Those on the inside
are horrified.  But the FBI is not done yet.

In what way are cleared people "deeply annoyed"?

You have a point about soft protection.  When I worked on The Joint Staff
at the Pentagon, I could have walked out one evening with the entire NATO
war plan in my briefcase, copied it overnight, and replaced it the
following morning, and no one would have been the wiser.  There was no
daily inventory, and no one checked briefcases.  But I didn't.  I
understand the KGB was quite a bit more serious in their procedures.
Ultimately we rely on one human being trusting another.

Regards

John