[ExI] AI Lawyer now employed

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sat May 14 23:12:48 UTC 2016

Looks like research lawyers will be looking for new employment now.
How soon till Watson replaces judges?

After Robocop arrives the job of totally controlling erratic humans
can be fully automated.
Paradise or Hell?

BillK

Hell.  The only thing I liked about law school was learning about equity
courts.  These do not decide on the basis of law, but on the personal
decision of the judges as to what is the fairest thing to do.

It will be a very long time before we have AI that can do those things.
How does one teach an AI fairness?  (Anders?)  Quantitative judgments,
fine.  Who lost the most monetary value.  Easy.  Qualitative, trying to
measure human suffering, for example, are very difficult even for people.
 (Reminds me of Queen for a Day, from the 50s, where the entrants, always
women, told their heart-rending story about why they should be a queen for
a day.  Maudlin.  Everyone crying.  Bathos.)

I can easily see AI replacing paralegals and other assistants - doing basic
research.

bill w