[ExI] AI Lawyer now employed

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sun May 15 15:44:25 UTC 2016

On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 1:46 AM, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

> On 2016-05-15 01:12, William Flynn Wallace wrote:
>
> Looks like research lawyers will be looking for new employment now.
> How soon till Watson replaces judges?
>

> Judging at its core has a representative function rather than a cognitive
> function. Also, common sense and clear explanations of the foundations of a
> decision, which is relatively hard for Watson-like systems to do reliabily,
> is a key part of being a reliable judge - that will likely take a fair bit
> of future work to get.
>
> Law is getting transformed by AI, but it seeps in through automating the
> legal search and analysis rather than decisionmaking. Paralegals are in
> trouble, but lawyers have hard to automate social skills.

I recall, some years back, hearing of a Brazilian judge who wrote an
automated assistant to handle the simplest of traffic ticket cases.  I can
not find the story now, but if I recall correctly it worked, but only for
tickets within its domain.  Anything complex (or not a traffic ticket)
still had to go to the judge, and he had to sign off on what cases his bot
did decide (since "a judge" needed to decide them).  Still, it reduced his
workload significantly.