[ExI] two genders? is that really all there are? RE: Will ems have two genders?

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Mon May 16 01:54:05 UTC 2016

Yeah, I mentioned bdelloid rotifers in my post.

On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 6:38 PM, John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com> wrote:

> Rafal Smigrodzki
>> Wrote:
>
>  >…Is there a reason to expect that ems would have a male and a female
>> gender?
>

> Is there a reason
> ​ to expect​
> that humans or any other multi cellular animal
>> would have a male and a female gender?
> ​The embarrassing answer is "not that we know of". The existence of sex is
> one of the biggest mysteries in Evolutionary Biology. And in fact there are
> a group of animals called "
> Bdelloidea
> ​" that have been around for at least 40 million years and they have no
> males, only females.
> Bdelloidea
> ​ are ​
> ​multi cellular
> ​ and ​big enough to be seen if you have good eyes but have no sex.
>
> Some textbooks say there are 450 different species Bdelloidea
>> but that's misleading, a species is a group that can interbred but
> Bdelloidea
>> engage in no breeding; so really there are 450 types of
>> Bdelloidea
>> that look different from each other, but "species" is a meaningless
> concept for them.
>
>  John K Clark

Rafal Smigrodzki, MD-PhD
Senior Scientist,
Gencia Corporation
706 B Forest St.

Charlottesville, VA 22903

tel: (434) 295-4800

fax: (434) 295-4951

This electronic message transmission contains information from the
biotechnology firm of Gencia Corporation which may be confidential or
privileged. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual
or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that
information is prohibited. If you have received this electronic
transmission in error, please notify us by telephone (434-295-4800) or by
electronic mail (fportell at genciabiotech.com) immediately.