[ExI] Prometheus and LFS

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Mon May 16 21:00:02 UTC 2016

On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 11:21 AM, Chris Hibbert <hibbert at mydruthers.com>
wrote:
> I was just catching up on all the extropy this week, and noticed this
exchange between William and Dan:

>> From: Dan TheBookMan <danust2012 at gmail.com>
>> Subject: Re: [ExI] prometheus magazine
>>
>> On May 10, 2016, at 3:17 PM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
wrote:

>>> Maybe some of you libertarians take this magazine. $30 for  membership
ain't
>>>  cheap, so I am angling for some feedback about the worth of the
articles.

>> Do you mean this:
>>
>> http://lfs.org/newsletter/index.shtml
>>
>> If so, looks like their content is online for free.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dan
>

> I've been involved with the LFS for a couple of decades (past President
and member of the
> award finalist committees, currently Treasurer, and on the Board). Many
of you also know
> Fred Moulton who has been very involved over the years.

Congrats!

> I would say that the reason to join isn't primarily for the newsletter
(Hardly a magazine;
> it's 8 pages,

Yes, I actually have a few issues packed away somewhere. They've taken the
tour so to speak. :)

> and is waay behind schedule at this point), but for the chance to
influence
> and support this reasonably prestigious award. (Winning novels often tout
the award on
> the cover in subsequent editions.) And as Dan said, the newsletter
content is online anyway.

> The LFS is a fairly small organization (~50 voting members) and a
committee of about 10
> selects the slate of finalists each year. I think of it as a way to
encourage and promote
> good libertarian and anti-authoritarian views in a popular segment of
literature that is
> already well disposed to anti-authoritarian viewpoints.
>
> If you are a libertarian (or other kind of anti-authoritarian), and enjoy
science fiction and
> fantasy, you can learn about our tastes and get a list of fun reads from
http://lfs.org/awards.shtml.
> If you like what you see, visit http://lfs.org/join.shtml and join to
support our work.

Speaking of, has anyone read the Saurez or Hoyt novels listed for recent
years?

> Or you can use your favorite website monitor to find out when I post
press releases
> (another hat I wear) about the latest winners or nominees at
http://lfs.org/releases.shtml.

I'll pass that along.

By the way, my attempts at SF -- see below -- are free today -- the ones on
Kindle. :)

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books via: