[ExI] segregation forever!!

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Fri May 20 02:59:45 UTC 2016

On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 6:44 PM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> overall we will be better off and so will the kids if we do force them.
> We do not do a good job of selling education.

Pretty much my thoughts.  We are all better off, even those who become able
to work and generally function in society, if most people are made able to
work and generally function in society, no matter how many of them object
to the process at the time.  Education is a tricky sort of common good.

That said, we could use with ways to deliver the same degree of
completeness and capability in reduced time.  What if today's equivalent of
a bachelor's degree could commonly be obtained around 14-16 years old, with
today's equivalent of a high school education complete at 12?

And what if vocational training - to a degree employers would accept - in
whatever field is currently popular, were developed to the point that it
could cheaply be state-sponsored - thus, "free" to the students - such that
most industry-specific labor shortages were resolved within a year, ,not to
mention the effect on unemployment through obsolesce of skills (and the
resulting decrease in support for pandering-to-the-NEET* candidates like
Trump)?

* NEET: Not in Education, Employment, or Training, particularly for young
people (to distinguish from retired folks who have an income source,
however marginal).  The term originated in the UK before hopping to Japan,
but increasingly seems to be a useful demographic segmentation in the US.