[ExI] Drake Equation Musings

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Fri May 20 09:39:36 UTC 2016

My understanding of the story is like this: we start with a spacetime
manifold which is curled up in a complex way, on which various fields
slosh around. One of them undergoes a false vaccum phase transition that
makes some of the directions of the manifold unfold a lot very fast,
producing a big spacetime. However, this unfolding happens differently
in different patches, producing big spacetimes separated from each other
and potentially with different dimensionality or physics (due to local
symmetry breaking of what dimensions unfolded or the values of the
parameters set by the fields).

Note that spacetime expansion is allowed to be arbitrary, but fields on
it can only change with signals moving at the speed of light on the
spacetime. So vacuum decay can only spread at lightspeed in the
surrounding manifold, although the internal spacetime metric of the
decyed region might have turned all weird.