[ExI] chain rule

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sat May 21 00:24:43 UTC 2016

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 1:43 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> OK now, engineers and scientists (but not math teachers) this next
> question is for you please:  since you took and passed that test, have you
> ever integrated by parts (or did partial fraction decomposition, or did a
> LaPlace transform or any of that cool stuff) in your job, or even as a
> real-life analysis, even once, or used in the line of duty any of that
> stuff you learned how to do?

Yes.  Not often, but more times than I can remember.

Both Bills, Adrian, Anders, Rafal, anyone else following this perplexing
> and critically important thread, with these considerations in mind, what
> should we be teaching the next generation, when, how and why?

I'm not sure the "what" is as important as the "how".  But perhaps, how to
learn - in and of itself - and why (to counter the increasingly large
anti-education memeplex: learning is not, in and of itself, an inherently
bad nor necessarily painful thing).