[ExI] chain rule

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Sat May 21 13:37:04 UTC 2016

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 4:43 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> OK now, engineers and scientists (but not math teachers) this next
> question is for you please:  since you took and passed that test, have you
> ever integrated by parts (or did partial fraction decomposition, or did a
> LaPlace transform or any of that cool stuff) in your job, or even as a
> real-life analysis, even once, or used in the line of duty any of that
> stuff you learned how to do?

No.

> OK then.  Why do we teach it?

Because there's a difference between trade school and education. We rely on
college degrees as "trade school" for a lot of fields, especially technical
ones, but they're not the same thing at all. A real education is broad and
covers a lot things that one doesn't *need* in order to design or produce
widgets but which are important nonetheless.

-Dave