[ExI] an ai wrote this script

Anders anders at aleph.se
Wed May 25 08:45:43 UTC 2016

Writing a script is fairly trivial if you use a fill-in-the-blanks
approach: it will produce either a random story, or a cliche fest.
Writing a *good* script requires conveying some emotions or thoughts in
a nontrivial way, which is currently hard for AI. But I think one could
do interesting things here.

Imagine a semantic network of concepts, trained on a large corpus of
human data. Snow is connected to cold which is connected to loneliness,
as well as xmas and snowball fights that are connected to childhood. You
activate a few nodes to act as bias, and use the activation spread to
generate associations.

Then you use the active part of the network as a value filter for
"ideas" generated by a script generator: the script generator tries
various characters, actions, scenes etc. and the network checks which
ones fit the overall structure. This might be a hierarchical process: an
overall story arch is tried, then parts made. For example, if the theme
is loneliness the script might generate various things until it hits on
"Protagonist X tries to join group Y but is rebuffed because of Z" which
gets thumbs up from the network. The script now tries to fill in X, Y, Z
and since the network will have the activations it might promote
X=child, Y=xmas celebration, Z=snow. So we get a structure where a kid
is refused to join a party because she is snowy (which a human will
recognize is a rationalisation for some other social property).

I have a feeling this is quite doable, and might be really helpful in a
semi-interactive way. The user sees the output, adds in the "foreign"
trait to the protagonist child to give the social property, re-evaluates
the script, and ends up with a short story about racism at xmas. Or a
sad comedy about X's inability to handle snow.