[ExI] Cosmological Natural Selection

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Thu May 26 02:32:21 UTC 2016

​It seems pretty clear that at the very least Black Holes ​are a lot more
common than previously though, so it might be a good time to take another
look at Lee Smolin's theory of Cosmological Natural Selection. Smolin said
that on the other side of the event horizon of every Black Hole is a new
universe that may have slightly different laws of physics from its parent
universe. The more Black Holes a universe has the more offspring universes
it has. So most of the universes in the Multiverse would have laws of
physics that maximize the production of Black Holes. If Black Holes are
Dark Matter and 85% of all matter in our universe is going into Black Holes
that must be pretty near the maximum, I don't think an observer could
expect to find himself in a universe where the laws of physics conspired to
produce a lot more Black Holes than that, after all you need at least a
little non-black hole matter to make planets and stars and life.

Just like Darwin's idea Smolin's idea is about reproduction mutation and
natural selection. Perhaps future historians will look back at Charles
Darwin not just as a great biologist but as a great cosmologist too.

 John K Clark