[ExI] Should we teach Strong AI Ethics?

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Thu May 26 19:49:41 UTC 2016

Why would it be ethical to have censorship in the first place? It's like
saying "Put an AI in charge of slavery..."

Dan

Well Dan I hate to tell you this, but we have censorship now in TV, movies,
books and maybe more.  I read recently that about 40k books are published
every month and some one has the say-so about its going on sale somewhere
(where might be determined by its rating).

I can easily see an AI being used for some of the labor of digesting all
this material.  I also think an AI would never be in charge of actual
censorship, but the AI could kick out books, movies, that fudge certain
guidelines so that a human, or a committee, or the Supreme Court could
decide what to do with it.

Even with my level of ignorance I am sure an AI can do most of these things
now.  Eh?

Now whether there should BE any kind of censorship is an entirely different
question, one that could be debated in this group if it hasn't before (not
likely).  Great question for libertarians.  I'd start it off by stating
that most censorship for children is unfortunate and tries to hide aspects
of the adult world that they will eventually learn (and thus view their
parents and teachers as hypocrites at the least), and be unprepared for.
Not only sex:  George Washington stole property while he was a general.
Most famous people did bad things and we tell children only the good
things.  Why we should try to create an Eden for them, actually promote
their 'innocence', is a mystery to me.  As for sex. many poor children see
it on a daily basis in their homes and seem to survive the experience.

The other side of this coin is telling children about Santa and all the
rest of the fantasy world we have constructed for children, which we then
present as real.

Are we crazy?
bill w