[ExI] Censorship

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Fri May 27 20:19:10 UTC 2016

Well Dan I hate to tell you this, but we have censorship now in TV, movies,
books and maybe more.  I read recently that about 40k books are published
every month and some one has the say-so about its going on sale somewhere
(where might be determined by its rating).

No, that is not censorship. If you as a publisher tell me that you will not
publish my book because it is crap/politically incorrect/will not sell/it
is Friday that is your prerogative. There is no right to have stuff
published. Censorship occurs is when a centralized power can decide to
prevent publication because of content. (Some iffy definitions for
post-publication action, but the core is prepublication approval).
​anders

Censorship is the suppression of speech, public communication or other
information which may be considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive,
politically incorrect or inconvenient as determined by governments, media
outlets, authorities or other groups or institutions.  dictionary

I don't want to quibble about words, but what I wrote is well within the
definition above.  Certainly the type Anders mentioned is far more
dangerous and threatening.  This has nothing to do with free speech.  Of
course Anders
is right that no one has the right to have his stuff published anywhere.
College newspaper editors found that out for sure a few years ago in a
court case.  Not letting a college writer put his stuff in a campus
newspaper is not a violation of free speech, but it is censorship.

bill w
​