[ExI] Model uncertainty (Was: LIGO)

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 04:42:24 UTC 2016

On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 7:38 PM, Anders <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

> a model that what we are seeing is more a tribal defense of core values

### Indeed, the core values of our tribe, that is non-initiation of
violence, mutually respectful individualism, prudence, low time preference
and individual assessment of merit, are under an unprecedented attack by
large numbers of persons with at times diametrically opposed values and
ways of living. Stenner is on to something: There is an inborn proclivity
among many of us to react cooperatively in defense against normative threat
but she may be missing the point when she implies this defense is
"authoritarian". A libertarian authoritarian is a contradictio in adiecto,
and yet I am highly intolerant of attacks on my normative order, more than
that - I see my intolerance as a badge of merit, not a reason to be ashamed.

I am not a Trump supporter but I did wear in public a Trump T-shirt, a Lock
Her Up T-shirt, and Anyone but Hillary T-shirt in the run-up to the
election (in which I conscientiously abstained from participating), just
because I see the smug corruption of many of our political elites and their
clients as a normative threat.

Some core values are just worth defending.

Luckily I didn't get beat up.

Rafał