[ExI] trump still

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 21:08:02 UTC 2016

On Sun, Nov 13, 2016 at 11:41 AM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com
> wrote:

> So why did any woman vote for a crotch-grabber?  Well, find out.
> What do they think?  What do they want?  Are there ways to give it to
> them, or are they just out of touch?  Ditto every Trump voter.

Thing is, they're not monolithic.

There are those have been sidelined, displaced, made obsolete and
unemployable (as they currently are) by technology and trade deals that
make it easier to offshore their work (far more by technology, but they
blame the trade deals).  These could be handled by encouraging and
assisting them into vocational education for new careers.

There are those - on both sides - who want immigration reform.  Nobody,
democrat or republican, has been able to push through any serious changes
once in office.  It's so bad that even "deport them all, we're not
accepting any new immigrants" would be seen as an improvement in their
eyes.  Far better alternatives are possible too, but those keep getting
shut down and silenced in Congress when they are proposed.

There are those who are outraged at American government repeatedly favoring
the rich at the expense of the poor.  They want income redistribution, so
the top 1% don't have so much vastly more than the bottom 99%.  They
believed that Clinton would probably continue favoring the top 1% - and
they were probably right.  Unfortunately, they also keep believing the
Republicans when they say they won't favor the top 1% - and the Republicans
are more notorious for favoring them than the Democrats are.  (Indeed, it
can be argued that the straw that broke the camel's back was the rich
trying to buy both parties.)  The solutions are many and somewhat obvious;
the challenge here is more to elect a Congress - not just (but as well as)
a President - that really will stand up for the 99% instead of taking
bribes as openly as possible.

...and unfortunately, then there really are the racists, the homophobes,
the xenophobes, the misogynists, the Christian extremists, and others who
seek "revenge" upon, or generally think that proper society is supposed to
repress, a given segment of society.  The very concept of "hate crime" is
anathema to them, as they believe a proper citizen should live in hatred,
and should have government support in doing so.  These people need
deprogramming on a mass scale; as they are now, they are mostly unable to
understand other points of view on this subject.  This group is far from a
majority; unfortunately they tend to be the loudest, and they now think
they are in power.  Many believe they are, will be once Trump is in office,
or should be above the law when it comes to their expressions of hate - and
every time they are not fully prosecuted for their crimes, they take that
as further confirmation bias.