[ExI] Humans losing freewill

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Nov 17 14:35:55 UTC 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf
Of BillK
Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2016 5:59 AM
To: Extropy Chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: [ExI] Humans losing freewill

>From Scott Adams blog:

http://blog.dilbert.com/post/153301052341/working-for-the-machines#

someday soon our technology will tell us how to eat, when to sleep, when to
sip water, when to exercise, and even who to date. Once married, technology
will tell you the best time of the month for procreation. It might even
clear your calendar by rescheduling your day.

The inevitable conclusion of all of these forces is that machines will
someday make all of our important decisions. We are probably less than ten
years away from that.
-----------------------

BillK

We become soldiers.  Not just soldiers but buck privates.

Boot camp is all about training thinking people to stop thinking, do exactly
as the sergeant orders and to it quick-smart.  If she does, things go well.
If not, big problems.  The successful boot camp graduate learns to put aside
any other agenda indefinitely.  She takes great pride in obedience and
alacrity in carrying out her leader's orders.  She is a joyful wet robot.

My bride's company has a program where we proles get a version of Fitbit: it
counts our steps.  That is information I always wanted to have archived
automatically; now I do.  This little device has encouraging messages, such
as "Good morning Spike!  Let's get GOING!"  and "Come on Spike!  Take me for
a WALK!" that kinda stuff.  I must admit it feels a little like what a dog
would say if she could talk, and we already know dogs are persuasive little
beasts.

An electronic monitor/companion is easy enough to foresee, as are the health
benefits of having one.  Dependence is a natural development.  I think Adams
is right on.  It is already happening: the internet and smart phone have
been like having 20 IQ points tacked on with the externalization of
knowledge it offers.  Those 20 points are addictive.  Plenty of people will
hand over their will to a carry-along device, and they can only become more
capable over time.  Their capability as a team (human/device) will increase
as well.