[ExI] Humans losing freewill

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 18:47:40 UTC 2016

On 19 November 2016 at 18:29, William Flynn Wallace  wrote:
> I suspect, without any evidence at all, that it comes from Christianity.  If
> we are always doing God's will because that's the way God set it up, then
> there is no room for sin, and sin is the basis of the religion:  Adam and
> Eve sinned and it has to be their choice or there is no justification for
> eviction from Eden.
>
> Add to it the doctrine that their sin infected every single human since, and
> we have original sin; ergo, babies are born lacking a state of grace
> (necessary to go to heaven) and must be saved
>  by their own choice.(here sects disagree about baptism, immersion, etc.)
>
> So free will is necessary for the very bases of this religion.
>
> Best I can do, I think.  Consult a philosophical dictionary for more.
> I don't believe in any of it.  "I did not mean to do that" means "I wish I
> had not done that".

There is also the large advertising / persuasion industry to consider.
Their methods work very well at changing people's choices, as does
advice, weather, feeling unwell, etc.
Freewill just means that a selection of choices is available which
people and circumstances can persuade you to choose between. Left to
themselves, of course, people's choices are often made for unconscious
reasons, driven by emotions and rationalised afterwards by the
conscious mind.

BillK