[ExI] Bell's Inequality

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 05:05:32 UTC 2016

On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 8:20 PM, Stuart LaForge <avant at sollegro.com> wrote:
> But free will is clearly observable to someone exercising it or
> deliberately not exercising it. You clearly know when you are watching a
> particular television show because you want to as opposed because someone
> else has the remote.

You have the perception of your own free will.  This has two limitations:
1) You can not be certain it is not an illusion.
2) Even failing 1, you can only be certain of your own free will.  You
can not observe the free will, or lack thereof, of all outside of
yourself.

> So you are saying that the universe is superdeterministic at all times
> except during those brief moments when quantum mechanical experiments are
> being conducted by intelligent observers.

Not quite.  The problem is conflating what "the universe" is.

There are things capable of free will, and then there is the
superdeterministic physical universe.  These can interact but they are
distinct.

The former can determine the results of quantum events - whether these
are scientific quantum mechanic experiments, or (far more often) more
mundane events used to determine what one will do in day-to-day life -
in the latter.

> Don't you believe in MWI?

I do not see how it is at all relevant to the world I live in, so long
as the other worlds can not be interacted with or perceived from this
one.  Free will may be outside the realm of science, but at least it
can explain something within said realm.  MWI seems to offer no
elucidation or clarification.